TCA Peels are generally well tolerated by most people and great for treating more serious and difficult skin concerns such as acne scarring, severe sun damage and ageing, and pigmentation which AHA/BHA based peels may find difficult to reach.
We currently have 4 levels of TCA Peels available – each getting progressively stronger and more aggressive as required, depending on the concerns we are targeting.
They are highly flexible and can often be combined with various other modalities such as Laser Genesis, Skin Needling and LED.
We can mix and match different levels to provide a highly targeted and specific approach to your concerns. Ie. we may apply Level 1 peels across your entire face but use Level 4 to spot treat pitted acne scarring.
At Stellar Skin + Body, we offer a personalised, client-focused approach. You can discuss your concerns with us in person during an obligation-free, complimentary consultation (30 minute consultation only). During the consultation, we will:
- Discuss your concerns and what you would like to achieve
- Provide the best advice possible to address your concerns
- Implement a customised treatment plan tailored to you
If you require an in-depth analysis of your skin and more detailed guidance, you should consider our Clinical Consultation.
TCA Peel Benefits
TCA Peels are a cost effective alternative to ablative laser resurfacing and can successfully target and correct a large range of skin concerns including a reduction in pigmentation, softening of post acne scarring, and reducing the appearance or fine lines and wrinkles.
Whole Body Treatment
TCA Peels can be applied to most areas of the body including the chest, back, arms, neck and shoulders.
Fades pigmentation such as sunspots/liver spots, freckles, melasma and other superficial discolouration
Treats Acne Scars
Red and brown blemishes as well as pitted scarring from acne can be reduced and eliminated
Reduce & Unclog Pores
Works within the pore to unclog and decongest as well as and reducing the visible size and appearance or pores
Smooths & Softens
Resurfaces the skin exposing plump, fresh, smoother and brighter skin tone and complexion.
Eliminates sun damage and reduce the appearing of ageing skin. Firms & tightens the skin to reduce lines and wrinkles.
TCA Peel Treatments
There are multiple TCA Peel levels available. As the level increases, so does the possible down-time and inherent side-effects such as mild to severe shedding of the skin as well as the need for strict home care.
TCA Peel – Level 1
$199 (30~ mins)
TCA Peel – Level 2
$249 (30~ mins)
TCA Peel – Level 3
$299 (40~ mins)
TCA Peel – Level 4
$349 (40~ mins)
TCA Peel Pre & Post Care
Preparation and home care post treatment forms a crucial part in how well your skin will respond to the TCA Peel, as well as how quickly you recover and the results you’ll achieve.
TCA Peel Level 1 & 2
For best results and to ensure a fast, efficient recovery from a TCA Peel, you must follow all pre and post care advice given to you. If you ignore or do not follow this advice, adverse reactions and side-effects are much more likely to occur.
Most clients respond well with minimal downtime and no side-effects. It is recommend that you at least consider the following products to aid in recovery and improve overall results.
Recommend Home Care
- Dermaceutic Mela Cream
- Dermaceutic K Ceutic
TCA Peel Level 3 & 4
Without strict pre and post care, you can not receive level 3 or 4 treatments. The side-effects can be quite severe including significant shedding of the skin.
Required Home Care
- Dermaceutic Advanced Cleanser
- Dermaceutic Mela Cream
- Dermaceutic K Ceutic
Depending on your individual circumstances, we may also recommend the following:
- Dermaceutic Foamer 5 / 15
- Dermaceutic C25 / 30
Individual treatments take from 30-40 minutes to perform. If you combine TCA Peels with Skin Needling or Laser Genesis, the entire treatment will take and additional 30-60 minutes longer.
Once in the treatment room, a quick discussion will take place to ensure the treatment is safe and suitable for you. If so, the clinician will leave the room briefly (if desired) while you get comfortable on the treatment bed.
The treatment begins with a cleanse, and the clinician will also perform a quick skin sensitivity test.
All going well, the TCA Peeling solution will be applied to the skin. Unlike AHA/BHA peels which often require a neutraliser, TCA Peels do not. TCA Peels remain on the skin and will self-neutralise after a short period of time.
The treatment ends with the application of a sunscreen.
What to expect after a TCA Peel
TCA Peels are generally well tolerated by most clients, however the level (strength/percentage) of the peel can greatly affect the downtime and the pre and post care required.
TCA Peel Level 1 & 2
You can expect mild-moderate shedding of the skin for up to 7 days post treatment. The skin may feel tight and dry so it’s important to keep a basic, fragrance free moisturiser close by and use it whenever necessary. Vaseline (pure petroleum jelly) can be used if required.
You should be able to go on with your day. If you go outdoors, heavy SPF coverage and a wide-brimmed hat is highly recommend. You should not spend any significant amount of time outdoors.
TCA Peel Level 3 & 4
You can expect moderate-severe shedding of the skin for up to 7-10~ days post treatment. The skin will likely feel very dry and tight so it’s crucial that you use the prescribed home care as instructed.
It’s important that you remain indoors as much as possible during the recovery phase – avoiding any contact with direct sunlight. If you do need to venture out during daylight hours, heavy SPF coverage and a wide-brimmed hat is imperative to protect your skin during the healing and recovery phase.
Not sure where to start?
Considering booking a Clinical Consultation
This detailed consultation takes into your account your own individual goals and expectations. You'll be provided with a full home care prescription and in-clinic treatment recommendations to ensure you get the best results possible, as quickly as possible!Learn More...
TCA Peel FAQs and Recommendations
In order to maintain skin comfort and control residual inflammation from the peel treatment, it is important that you follow the below post peel treatment homecare protocol for up to 7 days (time will vary depending on the intensity of the peel administered). You may recommence your normal daily skin regime 7 days post peel treatment, unless specified otherwise by your skincare specialist.
The need to use a broad spectrum SPF product cannot be overemphasised. Failure to use an SPF product for at least 7 days following the peel treatment could result in a significant sunburn and may compromise the overall result achieved.
- Sun exposure increases risk of side effects and adverse reactions. Avoid for 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- This includes sun exposure, tanning beds etc.
- Should you arrive to your appointment with any visible signs of sun exposure (eg. sun burn, even minor) your treatment will not go ahead
- Notify the clinic of any changes to your health history or medications since your last appointment.
- Some medications or supplements may increase the risk of adverse effects. You must inform the clinic of any medications or supplements you are currently taking.
- Avoid skin irritants for 1-2 weeks
- Includes depilatories (waxing, hair removal creams, electrolysis, dermaplaning etc) or products containing tretinoin, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic/salicylic acids etc.
- History of herpes or cold sores may require an antiviral prescription prior to treatment.
- All traces of make-up must be removed from the treatment area before arriving at your appointment.
- Excess hair may need to be shaved.
- Check with your surgeon and/or specialist prior to starting treatment on fresh scars.
- High quality Omega-3s (EFAs) are highly recommended.
Specific post care will be discussed with you on the day as this can vary depending on the peel.
- Do not expose the skin to the sun.
- Do not use tanning beds or tanning products.
- Do not use AHA, BHA, topical steroids, retinol or scrubs.
- Do not use products that may irritate the skin.
- Do not use face cloths during cleansing.
- No hair removal for 7 days (including waxing, threading, depilatory creams etc.)
- Avoid touching the skin and do not pick or pull.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours post peel as this may compound any inflammation.
- Avoid swimming or the use of spas or saunas.
You must inform the clinic ‘immediately’ if you suspect any adverse side effects, reactions or otherwise – including blistering, excessive redness, swelling etc. High resolution photos must be taken in clear/daylight and provided to the clinic.
The treatment can not be performed if…
- You are currently pregnant or breastfeeding
- Psoriasis, eczema, lupus erythematosus, open wounds, sun or wind-burned skin, Infected or irritated skin in treatment location
- Severe Acne or Rosacea
- Currently under active treatment for immune system disorder
- Undergoing chemotherapy or radiation treatments
- You’ve had Anti-wrinkle/Fillers (cosmetic injectables) within last 2 weeks
- Photosensitizing medications (Tetracyclines, Isotretinoin etc)
Additional care must be taken. Inform your clinician of any of the following:
- History of skin cancer.
- Anticoagulants/blood thinners – may increase risk of purpura or bruising
- Topical or oral treatment, such as Benzoyl Peroxide, Retinoic Acid, Isotretinoine, are at risk of over peeling and should shot treatment 15 days to 1 month prior to first treatment upon doctors clearance
- History of oral herpes/cold sores may require pretreatment of an antiviral. TCA cannot be performed if active cold sore is present.
- Diabetes – may impede wound healing,
- History of keloids or hypertrophic scarring,
- History of vitiligo.
It will vary depending on what you are hoping to achieve. This can be discussed during your consultation.
These peels are not suitable during pregnancy or breastfeeding or if you are currently using or recently stopped using Roaccutane.
Whilst peels can deliver some incredible results on their own, these results vary from person to person. We can not provide any guarantees that a specific result will be achieved.
Your willingness to use and your consistency with home care products (both pre and post treatment) will play a large part in how quickly you achieve any results, and the quality of those results.
We recommend discussing your concerns with us during a skin consultation. We can then tailor a solution specific to your goals and expectations.